Craig Willis is the Elementary Math tutor. Craig, his wife and young son moved to the Denver area in 1975. He has been a teacher since he graduated from UNC CH in 1974. Some of you may remember him from teaching at Rock Springs and Catawba Springs. After teaching Kindergarten for over ten years, he became a reading specialist. He also earned three advanced Certificates past his Masters and became certified in teaching gifted students. He worked in Charlotte as a Gifted and Talented teacher for almost twenty years. During this period, he realized that he enjoyed teaching math, so for more than twenty years, he has been specializing in teaching math.
Some of Craig’s experiences include:
- Wrote the vertical curriculum for math Common Core K-8 grades
- Taught AIG students for 15 years in CMS
- Trained in State Common Core Curriculum
- Presented math concepts at system level
- Authored the State AIG Plan for Mountain Island Charter and the School received certification
- Active in Charlotte Teachers Institute 2008-2011
- Created math curriculum for educators from elementary teachers to University colleagues
- Wrote and illustrated over 400 word problems
- 2009-present Julia Robinson Math Festival Presenter at UNCC
Craig retired from teaching in 2014 but missed teaching young students, so he decided to start tutoring. He is a huge asset to the Mentaur Learning Center staff, and he thoroughly enjoys working with both the students and their parents.